The historic Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear took place on the National Mall in Washington, DC on October 30 and drew out over two hundred thousand people. We were one of the first ones there. We filmed our exclusive pre-rally coverage starting at midnight on the Mall before the rally, and wrapped it up at 7 AM that morning, to chronicle the excitement and anticipation before the event. We were also joined by crew members of The Body Politic and AU Debate Forum for one big ATV contingent hanging out on the Mall.
Our headlines this week:
- Mount Everest, the World’s Tallest Peak, Gets 3G Wireless Internet
- Apple Drops the White iPhone 4, Plus More Verizon iPhone Rumors
- China Claims World’s Fastest Supercomputer
- Scientists Say Dream Recording Device May Be Possible
- Digg Tries to Bring Back Inactive Users from the Dead
- Egyptian Mummy Gets CT Scan at MInnesota Children’s Hospital
Douglas then shares a number of examples of how Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have influenced and commented on the state of technology in a series of past segments:
- Tech-Talch: Chatroulette (The Daily Show, 3/4/10)
- Appholes (The Daily Show, 4/28/10)
- Twitter Frenzy (The Daily Show, 3/2/09)
- The Word – Cognoscor Ergo Sum (The Colbert Report, 2/2/10)
- Tip/Wag – Science and Technology (The Colbert Report, 1/11/07)
We then pass the rest of the night on the Mall through a number of methods, including Josh leading our combined crews in a tech trivia game show, celebrating Halloween by doing the Monster Mash (extended clip), going head-to-head in a Bop It competition, and singing “The Ghost of Jon” (extended clip).
Finally at 7 AM, the sun rises, and we discuss the origins of the Stewart/Colbert rally and how they originated as an online/social networking movement. Josh then gives us a brief “Epic Wow” related to Google Maps, and we close out the show with our viral video, Jon Stewart is God.
This was one of our most fun episodes of Tech tAUk to date, and we hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Video coming soon.