Josh thinks that the number 13 is actually a lucky number, though Doug disagrees. But nevertheless, on this auspicious day (11/12/13, anyone?), we bring you our thirteenth episode of Tech tAUk Reloaded, with a rather ominous title.
Our tech headlines this week:
- Five-Year-Old Star Refuses a Sony Tablet from Jimmy Kimmel
- Twitter Stock Soars 73% in Debut of IPO, Twitter’s IPO Means 1,600 New Millionaires
- YouTube Faces Backlash for Google+ Integration, YouTube Co-Founder Blasts Google+ Requirement for Comments
- A 2,000-Pound European Satellite Set to Crash to Earth
Although, as it turned out (after we recorded the podcast), the satellite disintegrated upon reentry.
- South Koreans Are Stuck with Internet Explorer Thanks to an Outdated Security Law
We then take a look at a relatively-unnoticed newcomer on the mobile OS scene, Firefox OS, which is taking aim at the low-cost, overseas smartphone market. We note some press reviews of the ZTE Open, the first official Firefox OS device, and some of the underlying web-based technologies powering the new OS.
Finally, Josh offers a few of his assorted thoughts after installing OS X Mavericks, and Douglas offers a review of Fantastical for Mac and Fantastical for iOS, the latter of which is an acclaimed and highly-functional replacement app for the built-in iOS Calendar app.