Black Friday is coming right up, and with it comes fake deals, long lines, uneaten turkey, and the great potential for violence and carnage at shopping malls. And even though we’re not inclined to partake in this ritual ourselves, and would much rather be psyching out over the awesome ‘South Park’ Black Friday/Game of Thrones/console wars parody trilogy, the official arrival of the holiday season necessitates us to share our coverage of this holiday season’s tech lineup. And so, we reluctantly bring you our comprehensive Black Friday/Cyber Monday special!
Our tech headlines this week:
- Leaked Slide Shows NSA Hackers Secretly Infected 50,000 Computer Networks with Malware
- Spies worry over doomsday cache stashed by Snowden
- FCC to Review Cell Phone Ban on Planes Policy
- Apple Acquires 3D Chip Developer PrimeSense
- Amazon Partners with US Postal Service for Sunday Delivery (Bloomberg Opinion: Sunday Delivery Won’t Stem Postal Losses)
Then, Josh delves into this season’s console wars between Xbox One and Sony PS4, with a comprehensive comparison between the two. We also preview the Steam Machine for PC gamers, and a new upcoming generation of iPhone game controllers.
Douglas then offers a thorough overview of the hottest brands of personal electronic devices (cell phones, tablets, and e-readers), including:
- Apple: iPhone 5c & 5s phones (iOS 7), iPad Air & iPad mini tablets (iOS 7)
- Samsung: Galaxy S4 & Galaxy Grand 2 phones (Android 4.2), Galaxy Note 3 “phablet” (Android 4.3), Galaxy Tab 3 tablet (Android 4.2), Galaxy Gear smartwatch
- Google: Nexus 5 phone (Android 4.4), Nexus 7 & Nexus 10 tablets (Android 4.3)
- Motorola: Moto X phone (Android 4.4)
- HTC: HTC One phone (Android)
- Nokia: Lumia 925, 1020, 1520 phones (Windows Phone), Lumia 2520 tablet (Windows RT)
- Microsoft: Surface, Surface 2, Surface 2 Pro tablets (Windows RT, Windows 8.1)
- Dell: Venue 7, 8, 8 Pro, 11 Pro tablets (Android 4.2, Windows 8.1)
- Amazon: Kindle Fire HD, HDX, HDX 8.9″ tablets; Kindle Paperwhite e-readers
- Barnes & Noble: NOOK HD, HD+, GlowLight, Simple Touch tablets/e-readers
We also briefly share a few other interesting products to keep an eye on this season:
Finally, Josh shares an interesting viral video: an interactive music video for “Like a Rolling Stone.” Douglas then shares some brief commentary over the tallest building in the world controversy.
Happy Thanksgivukkah, and if you dare enter the Black Friday crowds, stay safe and stay cheap!