After a week off, we’re back to catch up on a whole bunch of tech news from the first half of February. And yes, we relent and cover that game with the dumb name that everyone has become fascinated with as of late.
Our tech headlines this week:
- Satya Nadella Named Microsoft CEO; Bill Gates Out as Chairman (see also: 10 Things About Satya Nadella)
- Comcast aggrees to buy Time Warner Cable for $45 billion (see also: What a Comcast-Time Warner deal could mean for you; Senator Al Franken opposes merger)
- DirecTV drops The Weather Channel
- Apple exploring cars, medical devices to reignite growth
- Drones kill civilians using NSA data
- North Korea’s home-grown OS looks a lot like Apple’s OS X
- Kickstarter hacked, customer addresses and other info accessed
In our Bytes of the Week, Douglas explores the concept of the uncanny valley in “Be Patient… This Might Get Confusing,” and Josh tries his hand in the paradoxically-popular and very-frustrating Flappy Bird, which Apple and Google have banned knockoffs of since the developer pulled the game from their app stores.